• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

IT better get better

Obzerver

Wasn't looking for IT...just noticed IT. IT being lack of offense causing our defense to get spent. Seems like they would have a long drive then 3 and out and D getting smashed again. There was a time not long ago where we I believed we could score against any team in the nation. Last year scored 7 pts in that route vs UM which is as bad a game as I've seen. Before that would have to go wayyyy back to a game where we only had 10 pts. IT seems. OC Chaplin came of U of Sioux Falls a NAIA II team(think they play 8 aside). He spent 4 years there and IT doesn't look/feel like he was some special young prodigy hot property to be going to a Nationally known high offense FCS team. Last year was a pass I guess. I'm looking at play calling and IT better result in points with talent on that side of the ball. Not asking for change but no improvement change immediately no dragging of the feet...again. Looking for IT boys, enough waiting around.Let's play Calcio Storico style(a game in Italy).

V_WiNg.gif

aImIRC.gif

giphy.gif

Obzerver said:
Wasn't looking for IT...just noticed IT. IT being lack of offense causing our defense to get spent. Seems like they would have a long drive then 3 and out and D getting smashed again. There was a time not long ago where we I believed we could score against any team in the nation. Last year scored 7 pts in that route vs UM which is as bad a game as I've seen. Before that would have to go wayyyy back to a game where we only had 10 pts. IT seems. OC Chaplin came of U of Sioux Falls a NAIA II team(think they play 8 aside). He spent 4 years there and IT doesn't look/feel like he was some special young prodigy hot property to be going to a Nationally known high offense FCS team. Last year was a pass I guess. I'm looking at play calling and IT better result in points with talent on that side of the ball. Not asking for change but no improvement change immediately no dragging of the feet...again. Looking for IT boys, enough waiting around.Let's play Calcio Storico style(a game in Italy).

Wasn't a fan of the hire. His QB's were not FCS caliber at Sioux Falls and wasn't sure he'd know the talent necessary to win in the BigSky. Thought a year would show him how to step up this season, plus I think he has more to work with at QB and RB, but last week was a sorry effort and the play calling degraded throughout the contest. Good teams have a go to set of plays they know they can execute on well in a lot of situations. Will say I thought the OL moved well in pulling but NDSU had 3 hats for every blocker i.e., Eags weren't fooling anyone... The thing I didn't see was the next play off the same motion/action that might give a WR or TE some room in a one on one match up. NDSU replaced nearly their full defensive backfield from last year.

Look, I don't know what's going on in the minds of these coaches. Most of it feels same ole same ole with Best. Not sure even if he had decisively better talent than the opponent that the results would look much different ala CP last year where the win was in question to the last minute. His regression to the norm is tiresome to me but I lived in a high pressure, get it done role for nearly 25 years so my opinion may be skewed. Can't say I having a coaching mentality. Just know what I see and would make changes until it worked, like my real life.

There is something to be said for consistency if it's working. NDSU, JMU and a few other programs in the near past have bottled it. Let's drink some.

Waiting for the BigSky portion of the schedule. Hope there's significant improvement in execution the coming two contests. Liked the effort, think it can get done. Eag's have already faced the best the FCS has to offer, so circling SELA at home on the calendar to see a complete game from the team. Go Eags!

Didn't mean to come down so hard on Chapin. Just mean honeymoon year is over. But did everyone know there is 30-50 less plays a game? Now, that turns play calling and strategy upside down. Maybe I'm the only one that didn't know there is a running clock after 1st downs. CFB instituted, in the name of safety, this new rule. Chip Kelly , UCLA Head Coach, said on National TV in interview at half to person with the mic that new rule cost them 4 series in the first half and hopes tv is selling a bunch of new commercials.

Teams with leads will milk the clock in 2nd half by running it. Imagine there are many other changes resulting in changing the games.

Obzerver said:
Didn't mean to come down so hard on Chapin. Just mean honeymoon year is over. But did everyone know there is 30-50 less plays a game? Now, that turns play calling and strategy upside down. Maybe I'm the only one that didn't know there is a running clock after 1st downs. CFB instituted, in the name of safety, this new rule. Chip Kelly , UCLA Head Coach, said on National TV in interview at half to person with the mic that new rule cost them 4 series in the first half and hopes tv is selling a bunch of new commercials.

I did watch more commercials this past weekend. 30-50 fewer plays is CRAZY. Had not seen that stat. Not sure it's killing 4 possessions a half, but Eags only had 67 snaps against NDSU vs 75 vs Weber last year. NDSU only had 66 snaps. This feels normal for balanced attacks but open to better statistical information ;-) I can see hurry up offenses losing some snaps. Guess teams better learn to stop the run if they want more possessions :lol:

luckyintheorder said:
Obzerver said:

Wasn't a fan of the hire. His QB's were not FCS caliber at Sioux Falls and wasn't sure he'd know the talent necessary to win in the BigSky. Thought a year would show him how to step up this season, plus I think he has more to work with at QB and RB, but last week was a sorry effort and the play calling degraded throughout the contest. Good teams have a go to set of plays they know they can execute on well in a lot of situations. Will say I thought the OL moved well in pulling but NDSU had 3 hats for every blocker i.e., Eags weren't fooling anyone... The thing I didn't see was the next play off the same motion/action that might give a WR or TE some room in a one on one match up.

I agree, using motion can accomplish many things, it can detect man coverage, it can prevent blitzes, provide additional protection against blitzes, it can also be used to lull defenders to sleep and setup big plays (and much more). I didn’t see Eastern’s Offensive Coordinator do any of that. It’s NDSU, they’re gonna have big players and those players are going to be properly coached! If you didn’t prepare a way to defend their offense and defeat their defense why’d you show up? NDSU is better than any team in the Big Sky so at least that’s over.

I think Eastern’s Qb is 3/5 stars, his arm looks decent, but he can’t run for beans. Btw... Good coaching can overcome an average QB, only put him in easy, pitch n catch situations. Ex. RB & WR screens, double moves, wheel routes, lots of crossings routes, a short passing game, and when those defensive backs creep up, beat them over the top. :twocents:

HeavyIsTheCrown said:
luckyintheorder said:
Obzerver said:

Wasn't a fan of the hire. His QB's were not FCS caliber at Sioux Falls and wasn't sure he'd know the talent necessary to win in the BigSky. Thought a year would show him how to step up this season, plus I think he has more to work with at QB and RB, but last week was a sorry effort and the play calling degraded throughout the contest. Good teams have a go to set of plays they know they can execute on well in a lot of situations. Will say I thought the OL moved well in pulling but NDSU had 3 hats for every blocker i.e., Eags weren't fooling anyone... The thing I didn't see was the next play off the same motion/action that might give a WR or TE some room in a one on one match up.

I agree, using motion can accomplish many things, it can detect man coverage, it can prevent blitzes, provide additional protection against blitzes, it can also be used to lull defenders to sleep and setup big plays (and much more). I didn’t see Eastern’s Offensive Coordinator do any of that. It’s NDSU, they’re gonna have big players and those players are going to be properly coached! If you didn’t prepare a way to defend their offense and defeat their defense why’d you show up? NDSU is better than any team in the Big Sky so at least that’s over.

I think Eastern’s Qb is 3/5 stars, his arm looks decent, but he can’t run for beans. Btw... Good coaching can overcome an average QB, only put him in easy, pitch n catch situations. Ex. RB & WR screens, double moves, wheel routes, lots of crossings routes, a short passing game, and when those defensive backs creep up, beat them over the top. :twocents:

:thumb: Big fan of motion, especially at this level where match up issues can be created more frequently.

Motion might help, but to some degree we need to be prepared to just line up and hit somebody. There was almost no effort to try and run the ball from Eastern. I don't quite understand why... the offensive line should be a strong-point this year, so let them grade some road on the line of scrimmage.

Defensively, we still can't stop the run though. If we can't solve that problem, everything else is sort of academic.

so with the new rule change, they are essentially speeding up the game to account for more time for commercials within the same amount of game time?

Latest posts

Back