• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Is baseball on the chopping block?

Beardown

Let's face it - college baseball, especially if it's not supported well, brings down athletic budgets. It pains me to mention this, but the next A.D. may need to cut UNC baseball. It doesn't get the support and that money could be used for money sports like football, basketball, etc. It makes $$$ to do so. UNC had great success but it might be time to cut it.

Beardown said:
Let's face it - college baseball, especially if it's not supported well, brings down athletic budgets. It pains me to mention this, but the next A.D. may need to cut UNC baseball. It doesn't get the support and that money could be used for money sports like football, basketball, etc. It makes $$$ to do so. UNC had great success but it might be time to cut it.

Any money saved would go to women's sports, thanks title IV.

Blofeld said:
Beardown said:

Any money saved would go to women's sports, thanks title IV.

Well, if baseball goes, surely softball would goe as well right? What would be the point in keeping them both? The women already have soccer, swimming & diving and vollyball to make up for the football scholarships.

I'm not trying to be chauvinistic but men's sports seem to get dropped at about a 10:1 ratio compared the women's and of course there are a lot of legitimate reasons why but it sucks either way.

For example Southern Utah dropped baseball in 2012 and didn't drop anything else and had added women's volleyball 5 or so years ago.

Blofeld said:
I'm not trying to be chauvinistic but men's sports seem to get dropped at about a 10:1 ratio compared the women's and of course there are a lot of legitimate reasons why but it sucks either way.

For example Southern Utah dropped baseball in 2012 and didn't drop anything else and had added women's volleyball 5 or so years ago.

I really wished that football scholarships didn't count towards Title IX.

Brian said:
Well, if baseball goes, surely softball would goe as well right? What would be the point in keeping them both?

Conference just made softball one of their championship sports. That won't be dropped. Plus it's a womens sport, meaning T9.

Doubt it, baseball just joined the WAC. Alumni wouldn't let it happen either with the past success they have had.

Here's why I think it should be on the chopping block.

1. Most of the really good players out of high school are going to bigger schools or the Minors.

2. Most of the big name alumni haven't supported UNC baseball with enough $$$$ for facility upgrades and scholarships.

3. CU will soon add baseball because the PAC 12 wants them to add sports. That means we really won't get any of the top recruits.

4. It will help increase football, basketball and volleyball budgets. Let's face it - we're lacking budget money because some sports like baseball are dragging us down.

Beardown said:

1. Most of the really good players out of high school are going to bigger schools or the Minors.

2. Most of the big name alumni haven't supported UNC baseball with enough $$$$ for facility upgrades and scholarships.

3. CU will soon add baseball because the PAC 12 wants them to add sports. That means we really won't get any of the top recruits.

4. It will help increase football, basketball and volleyball budgets. Let's face it - we're lacking budget money because some sports like baseball are dragging us down.

1. That's always been the case, not only in baseball but all other sports as well. Don't see why that would be an issue. UNC still has the potential to land good baseball players, especially now they are going into the WAC, which gets a bid into the NCAA

2. Don't see why this would be a reason to drop baseball either.

3. CU doesn't have any plans to bring back baseball, they don't have any facilities or support. Why would they now when they were in the very heavy baseball conference of the Big 12?

4. Baseball budget isn't very big to begin with, have to seen how much the coach get paid? Cutting it wouldn't bring much money to other sports.

I don't know if you're trying to stir the pot, but you suck at it, and I know you've been on the cut baseball bandwagon for a few but you should let it go. Its not happening.

Bearsfan24 said:
Beardown said:

1. That's always been the case, not only in baseball but all other sports as well. Don't see why that would be an issue. UNC still has the potential to land good baseball players, especially now they are going into the WAC, which gets a bid into the NCAA

2. Don't see why this would be a reason to drop baseball either.

3. CU doesn't have any plans to bring back baseball, they don't have any facilities or support. Why would they now when they were in the very heavy baseball conference of the Big 12?

4. Baseball budget isn't very big to begin with, have to seen how much the coach get paid? Cutting it wouldn't bring much money to other sports.

I don't know if you're trying to stir the pot, but you suck at it, and I know you've been on the cut baseball bandwagon for a few but you should let it go. Its not happening.

Why am I bringing this up? Because it's an issue the next A.D. will need to address. If we have to make difficult choices with the budget, it's a very real possibility baseball could go. I don't agree with you about CU. They Pac 12 wants them to add sports, and I think they'll add baseball in the next 5 years.

Now would be a bad time to cut baseball. Interest in college baseball is at an all-time high even if most D1 schools have attendance in the low hundreds for their games. Things are looking up for the Bears. They win the regular season championship in their final season in the Great West. They are moving up (albeit only slightly) as they will now be in the WAC and recruiting is not too bad. I'm in the process of writing an article on UNC recruiting in my blog. They have some good players coming in. If they can improve, why quit now? The WAC still has some pretty good competition as Sacramento State, Bakersfield, NMSU, and Seattle will be difficult to deal with. The other teams should prove less of a problem. Anyway, I hope they stick it out as I should be out there for the season this coming spring.

Beardown said:

Amen. Let's cut everything but Basketball and Football and do those well. Those sports are what will give our school national recognition and add value to us all!

BearInDC said:
Beardown said:

Amen. Let's cut everything but Basketball and Football and do those well. Those sports are what will give our school national recognition and add value to us all!
There's this thing called Title IX...

Which is a law against discrimination. NCU can cut everything except football and basketball, as long as no discrimination occurs. So we keep women's basketball, and to balance out men's football we'll have a lady sport of some kind, cheerleading or some other "sport".

When resources small, focus on big endeavor. -- ancient Chinese wisdom

No they can't, the NCAA mandates a minimum amount of sports on offer not to mention the Big Sky does as well.

You can't just have a basketball and football program... do you really think you could and you're the first person to think of this? :lol:

Blofeld said:
No they can't, the NCAA mandates a minimum amount of sports on offer not to mention the Big Sky does as well.

You can't just have a basketball and football program... do you really think you could and you're the first person to think of this? :lol:

I'm just thinking we could cut Curling, Fencing, and Competitive Diving. Is that allowed?

Isn't the "new" WAC made up of all schools without football? I think there also be some smaller conferences that only have a few major sports but do not have them all. I believe there are ways around it. Not that I am for it. I believe if you have good leadership in place, have a solid flow of cash coming in from boosters, and have cool merchandise that everyone wants to wear, you can generate a great deal of revenue for the school. You couple that with good recruiting and you are well on your way to a level of positive growth. And before you know it.... Your Gonzaga. How many recruits do you think wanted to go to a school named Gonzaga before they became a pretty good school to go to?

Godeev said:
Isn't the "new" WAC made up of all schools without football? I think there also be some smaller conferences that only have a few major sports but do not have them all. I believe there are ways around it. Not that I am for it. I believe if you have good leadership in place, have a solid flow of cash coming in from boosters, and have cool merchandise that everyone wants to wear, you can generate a great deal of revenue for the school. You couple that with good recruiting and you are well on your way to a level of positive growth. And before you know it.... Your Gonzaga. How many recruits do you think wanted to go to a school named Gonzaga before they became a pretty good school to go to?

I agree Godeev. It all comes down to having a great marketing program in place !! Something that has been sorely missing for years ! And it sounds like the new AD will be all over this !

Godeev said:

Well said. :thumb:

BearInDC said:

Which is a law against discrimination. NCU can cut everything except football and basketball, as long as no discrimination occurs. So we keep women's basketball, and to balance out men's football we'll have a lady sport of some kind, cheerleading or some other "sport".

When resources small, focus on big endeavor. -- ancient Chinese wisdom

That's not how Title IX works, you have to have equality in the number of scholarships given to men's and women's sports, so if you give 75 scholarships for football and men's basketball, you have to give 75 scholarships for women's sports.

Latest posts

Back