• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Evans Announcement

Skippy

https://isubengals.com/news/2019/3/26/evans-will-not-return-as-isu-mens-basketball-coach.aspx
I will miss Bill, he’s a good man. Best of luck to he and his family.

Good man, bad man, neutral man, decent man, horrible man, excellent man.... none of it matters. Only your win and loss ratio matters; and how you coach and treat players , and the successes you bring. Wish him well, he’s 72. The grass is greener on the other side, and that side is a healthy retirement.

No actually how you treat people is, in the end, ALL that matters. Bill treated his kids well, they graduate and they will be successful in life. Sure you hire a coach to win and the bottom line is Bill didn’t win enough. But he left a legacy of good people and successful students.

Fixed APR problems O'Brien left behind.
Shitty X & O's coach.
Picked favorites.
Drove off talent.
Halfway good recruiter. Just didn't know how to coach it.

I won't miss the grumpy old man persona. Sarcasm doesn't translate over radio. His little snit after the SUU loss in Boise is what I'll remember.

I hate to see Coach Evans leave, we have a lot players that will be seniors next year. I'm not sure they all want to be part of a rebuilding program. Not sure what the players are thinking about and how this effects them transferring.

Hank42 said:
I hate to see Coach Evans leave, we have a lot players that will be seniors next year. I'm not sure they all want to be part of a rebuilding program. Not sure what the players are thinking about and how this effects them transferring.

REBUILDING WHAT??? THEY ONLY WON 11 GAMES!!! THEY WON LESS GAMES THAN LAST SEASON!!! THEY FINISHED 10TH OUT OF 11 TEAMS!!!!

This team should have won at least 18 games. Period. Talent was there. The stubborn ass cost this team the wins. Gary takes a bad shot, he's pulled immediately. One of his favorites takes several bad shots, he leaves them in there. A player starts to take control of the game, gets on a scoring streak, makes some stops, and the ass subs him out at the first time out. No clue. The NAU win was luck. By his own admission he went conservative in the second half and almost lost the game. They were kicking NAU's asses, and he switches his game plan and lets NAU almost come back and win. Couldn't adjust with the players he had. Wanted to win by forcing square pegs into round holes. Couldn't figure it out. If he is such a good coach, how come we never heard his name being brought up for other jobs?

Nope, not sad about this news at all.
I've witnessed over the course of several years, from SUU to ISU, the "career" of this man and there are a couple of reoccurring themes here....
1) Bill Evan is a master at survival
2) His manipulative skill is astounding
3) He has no clue about the game of basketball, let alone know how to coach the game.

This man does know that the round ball goes through that net looking thing...that's the extent of his knowledge and he doesn't even know how to "coach" that.

He has been surrounded by several very talented coaches (T. Walsh is NOT to be included in this statement) over the course of his piggybacked career, again from SUU to ISU, but for some unfathomable reason, rejects common sense at every turn.

To all of you out there, from admin staff to coaching staff, from athletic trainers to professional staff and faculty....KUDOS TO YOU. Without your efforts, doing absolutely and literally everything for this man, he would not have had the "career" that he did. So...pick yourself up, dust off from that roll under the bus and go have a drink.
Finally, a "career" of manipulation, false promises and ego are over.

I am surprised that Bengalcub has not come on to this site to post a comment and display his site underneath his comment hoping viewers will visit his site.

donny said:
Hank42 said:

REBUILDING WHAT??? THEY ONLY WON 11 GAMES!!! THEY WON LESS GAMES THAN LAST SEASON!!! THEY FINISHED 10TH OUT OF 11 TEAMS!!!!

This team should have won at least 18 games. Period. Talent was there. The stubborn ass cost this team the wins. Gary takes a bad shot, he's pulled immediately. One of his favorites takes several bad shots, he leaves them in there. A player starts to take control of the game, gets on a scoring streak, makes some stops, and the ass subs him out at the first time out. No clue. The NAU win was luck. By his own admission he went conservative in the second half and almost lost the game. They were kicking NAU's asses, and he switches his game plan and lets NAU almost come back and win. Couldn't adjust with the players he had. Wanted to win by forcing square pegs into round holes. Couldn't figure it out. If he is such a good coach, how come we never heard his name being brought up for other jobs?

My thoughts exactly, and you couldn’t make a better point if you tried too. Picking favorites and not holding them accountable was just awful to watch. And mentioning Gary and shot selection was exactly what I was thinking when I read that. Look at the statistics, Gary played half of the minutes Jared did (using the two players) as example... and averaged more points? Yet Jared nearly started every single game. Maybe it had to do with his parents sitting next to me every home game...

Regardless, you are absolutely correct, no Xs and Os, poor in game management , outcoached every game, no accountability.

Not like we didn’t talk about this while he was hired. This has been going on for years. Ethan Telfair saved him from being fired two years ago; Gary has one of the better years as a freshman I can remember, then gets benched with multiple DNPs. Talent , you mentioned should have won 19 games. EASILY! If they weren’t outcoached every time. Let’s not forget the difference in nonconference and conference. Someone mentioned how the offense absolutely tanked in conference play...

I wonder why? Because Evans took over, once again, stubborn as one can be.

Like I said, grass is Greener on the other side.

Hank42 said:

Hank with all due respect, this wouldn’t even Look like a rebuild if it wasn’t for Evans. It’s not, it’s a rebuild after next year maybe, is that evens. Term in college? Doubt it.

If I’m not mistaken, you mentioned earlier you have a “son” who’s on this team, and was given a chance by Evans. You mention seniors, you mention your not sure if any of the seniors will stay or transfer, based off of context clues, seems like your leaning towards the transfer option for your son. So it’s not “players”, your hinting out what your son wants to do, and I know of only one kid so far who’s entered the portal, you probably know that player also.

More kids may transfer, that’s their right, some may stay. I read foreshadowing; and if that’s the route your son takes good luck to him and his future endeavors. However; “hate to see Evans leave”, I mean, if you wish more misery and losses for the team, sure.

You're 100% right about my son, he's really having a hard time trying figure out what do stay or leave. All my comments that I have made on this site ARE my feelings only, me and my son agree to disagree on a lot of things that taken place on the court at ISU. I agree about what you said about Gary as you know he and my son took the path to ISU they have been together since high school, and I agree Gary deserved a lot more playing time he was a threat on the floor. I have never questioned any of my son coaches even if I didn't agree with what was going on the team, I always told my play your ass off whenever you're on the court. I know coaches want to WIN and when they don't there's a heavy price for losing (Evans).

Hank42 said:
You're 100% right about my son, he's really having a hard time trying figure out what do stay or leave. All my comments that I have made on this site ARE my feelings only, me and my son agree to disagree on a lot of things that taken place on the court at ISU. I agree about what you said about Gary as you know he and my son took the same path to ISU they have been together since high school, and I agree Gary deserved a lot more playing time he was a threat on the floor. I have never questioned any of my son coaches even if I didn't agree with what was going on the team, I always told my play your ass off whenever you're on the court. I know coaches want to WIN and when they don't there's a heavy price for losing (Evans).

Hank42 said:
You're 100% right about my son, he's really having a hard time trying figure out what do stay or leave. All my comments that I have made on this site ARE my feelings only, me and my son agree to disagree on a lot of things that taken place on the court at ISU. I agree about what you said about Gary as you know he and my son took the path to ISU they have been together since high school, and I agree Gary deserved a lot more playing time he was a threat on the floor. I have never questioned any of my son coaches even if I didn't agree with what was going on the team, I always told my play your ass off whenever you're on the court. I know coaches want to WIN and when they don't there's a heavy price for losing (Evans).

I’m not sure what the other players will do, but for what it is worth, your son was one of my favorite players. As an alum, I would love for him to finish his career here, but I completely understand the dynamics , decision making, and politics of college basketball. My older brothers went through a similar situation.

If he chooses to stay , we all will be happy , if he chooses to leave, we will be happy for him.

In terms of Evans , I may sound harsh on him, I was very critical of his coaching style. Your son would have done even better if they had a coach who adapted to modern basketball. It happens; greener pastures in future. Good luck

Latest posts

Back