• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Coach Katz Retires Days Before Season Starts

I wonder if this was calculated timing to force Orr to give Laird a shot for a year as interim… hmmm

Kadeezy said:
I wonder if this was calculated timing to force Orr to give Laird a shot for a year as interim… hmmm

100%. One last gift to his tenured staff. Especially with how difficult it is to land a HC gig in D1.

Never know what is going on behind the scenes but unless there is something big going on, stepping down this close to the season is bush league.

I agree. Total bush move. And that Bee article today inexplicably seems to commend the decision, "now he can throw out his alarm clock." Give me a break. Quitting on an organization the day the season starts is not a heroic move nor a symbol of courage.

I'm not going to speculate one way or another on Katz decision. He's 64 (doesn't look it, he looks barely 50) and has been coaching for 45 years. He's earned the right to retire whenever he wants to. If anything the move now gives Laird a year to audition for the spot.

Thanks Katz for brining a level of competitiveness and respectability to this program that we've never seen in the D1 era. As much as we all wanted to see this program do better, he certainly made the most of it given the laughable facilities he had to deal with.

I trust Nelsen and Orr will make the most of this, conduct a nationwide search and make a notable hire.

SACRAMENTO -- Sacramento State head men's basketball coach Brian Katz announced his retirement Friday morning, citing health reasons. The retirement comes one day after the Hornets' exhibition victory, and four days before the start of the regular season.

Current associate head coach Brandon Laird, in his 11th season with the program, will serve as the interim head coach for the 2021-22 season.

"Due to an ongoing health issue, my family has convinced me to retire," Katz said. "After coaching for 45 years, this already feels very strange. I've woken up every day at 4 a.m. fully invested in my players and my staff until I laid my head on the pillow at night.

"I want to thank all of my former players and assistant coaches. In truth, there are many months of the year where, as a coach, you spend more time with your team than your family. I do not remember every game, but I do remember every player. I truly believe the player-coach relationship officially begins when they are done playing for you.

"Lastly, I would like to thank all the fans that supported us over the years. You made the Nest a very difficult place to play for the opposition."

The winningest coach in Sacramento State's Div. I era (1991-pres.), Katz was in his 14th season after taking over the program in 2008. He was named the National Mid-Major Coach of the Year, District 6 Coach of the Year and Big Sky Conference co-Coach of the Year in 2015, and his teams have three wins over Pac-12 Conference opposition during his tenure.

Moreover, Katz's student-athletes have graduated at an exceptionally high rate. Of the 50 players that have expired their eligibility during Katz's tenure, 49 have graduated - a 98 percent success rate. In addition, the Hornets are the only men's basketball team from a public school in the state of California to earn NCAA Public Recognition honors for academic excellence. The team accomplished the feat four straight years (2017-20).
https://www.hornetsports.com/sports/mbkb/2021-22/releases/20211105nrsfji

Agree, let’s hope for a basketball version of the TT hire. Who would that be? How about Chris Webber or Bobby Jackson? Lol

Latest posts

Back