• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Canzano\'s take on PSU athletics. . .

SciFi

Didn't know where to post this; but, Canzano wrote an interesting peice today:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/1166590506327490.xml&coll=7

Vikings adrift with no rudder, no destination

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

A near-abduction in downtown Portland was greeted with the urgency of a shrug Tuesday.

Nobody shrieked. Not a soul called 9-1-1. It was as if nobody noticed the dark van with Idaho plates and tinted windows idling on the curb in front of Portland State University, stalking football coach Tim Walsh.

This week, Walsh interviewed for the vacancy created by Dennis Erickson's defection at the University of Idaho. The job would pay an estimated $250,000 a year -- about twice Walsh's current salary. Idaho plays in the Western Athletic Conference, which beats the Big Sky.

But Walsh narrowly missed the job, and I'm thinking he's going to feel a little better about all that when the Vandals open next season with back-to-back games against USC and Washington State.

Still, we all sort of hope that if we went missing, someone would notice, right? Right? And Walsh was yanked into the back of a van, tied up with rope, gagged with a strip of duct tape, and carried to Idaho and back this week while his employer mostly yawned.

Same old PSU, I suppose.

All the Vikings football coach has done is go 90-68 in 14 seasons. This year, he beat Division I-A New Mexico, and in the past eight seasons, PSU has won more games in the Big Sky Conference than every other member institution except Montana.

In this paragraph you'd normally get a quote from the worried university athletic director who would wring his hands and talk about how lucky the joint is to have a coach who runs a clean asylum and makes chicken soup from chicken feathers. So yeah, Mr. or Ms. Athletic Director, exactly how difficult was it to find enough air in your lungs to breathe after you received the ransom note from Idaho?

Hello?

AD, you there?

Well, it turns out, PSU doesn't have a permanent athletic director. Tom Burman left last January to head fundraising at Wyoming, and PSU replaced him by handing former women's softball coach Teri Mariani the interim athletic director job. The message: The leadership role in athletics is the perfect place to save money.

So in this space, you're going to have to imagine the horror a permanent athletic director might have felt. And maybe it's appropriate that we're talking in imaginary terms, because what we have is an urban university living a fairy-tale existence.

T oday's question: Who are you?

I'm talking to you, PSU. One day you're talking about inspiring improvements to facilities, an increase of scholarships, higher pay for coaches and a transition to Division I-A status in athletics. And the next, you're just happy to have a cute little Division I-AA athletics program that is held together by a football coach busy working wonders.

You hire athletic directors like Burman, who was clueless with marketing but wonderful with his own agenda -- getting a better job somewhere else. The athletic department is exploring the feasibility of a 4,000-seat arena in the space currently occupied by the Stott Center and at the same time is stumped about how to get people to PGE Park to watch its football team.

The twisted part of this is that the Vikings' 2006 football team, the one that went 7-4, probably would have beaten Erickson's 2006 Idaho team. Yet your coach, who spent most of his life in the San Francisco Bay Area and Portland, was prepared to sell his wife on the idea of a five-year tour of beautiful Moscow as a possibility.

The guy nearly pulled it off, too.

You're lucky, but you lack vision, PSU.

You run, but only in one place. You dream big, but never bother to get out of bed. And in the end, Portland State, you end up woefully unaware that you've taken a nameless, faceless, uninspired form.

You've become a Division I-AA mannequin.

What do you see when you look in the mirror?

Thoughts?

-SciFi

I e-mailed Canzano regarding what he thought PSU should do with marketing, and here is a summary of his thoughts:

Allocate some of the $1 million we earned by playing 3 I-A football teams towards a marketing campaign geared towards all PSU sports and "Downtown Football."

Have PSU embrace the city, and have the city embrace PSU.

Feed The Oregonian news stories. It took PSU 3 years to call him and suggest a story, when he is the sports columnist at the state's largest paper. (I'm thinking he would be talking about more human interest type stories, not just game highlights.)

Brand the Product, and market PSU as the college team of the largest city in the state.

I think he has some good ideas. I REALLY want to see a cohesive advertising and marketing campaign bought with the money we earned by missing the playoffs in football. PSU needs to spend money to make money. Spend the money on ads, and you will put butts in the seats. The points he makes in his article, his blog, and on 1080 The Fan are all spot on. Why has it taken over a year to get a new AD??? Teri has done a tremendous job as the interim AD, but she retired for a reason. She has done her service to PSU, we need somebody with a lot of energy who isn't going to use PSU has a career-advancement stepping stone.

I emailed him as well. I usually get a response, but my tone probably didn't merit one.

We need some direction from the Athletic Deparment! I realize that we don't have and AD, but I'm really getting curious as to what is going on...

DJViking said:
. . . have the city embrace PSU.

That's gonna be extremely tough to make happen when a good percentage of PSU alumni and current students don't even embrace PSU athletics. This is what the next AD must make his top priority to fix.

-SciFi

Those are great points. One billboard isn't going to cut it. Making people care is half the battle. Attendence will come if people care.

Why is it that UP has radio and newpaper ads for their basketball program, yet you hear nothing from our marketing dept?

We really need an AD in quick to get some direction in our programs. I've never heard one interview with Bone on The Fan, yet Heath used to be on there from time to time. I'm starting to get a little frustrated. :-(

I'm getting a little frustrated, too. Also, notice there is absolutely NO buzz surrounding the search. This has already taken far too long!

-SciFi

Latest posts

Back