• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

AD Valerie Cleary

Val Cleary: People person will try to get more people to Portland State sports:

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/336602-215236-val-cleary-people-person-will-try-to-get-more-people-to-portland-state-sports

Valerie Cleary prepares to take the reins of the Portland State athletic department

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/index.ssf/2016/12/goe_valerie_cleary_prepares_to.html

So, she wants to make Portland State good like Boise State became good. How did that happen?

Essentially, first, PSU's Pokey Allen brought them to I-AA runner-up status, twice. Then they hired Oregon's Offensive Coordinator in the time of Oregon's rise. This allowed Mike Bellotti to come in as Offensive Coordinator at Oregon while allowing Boise State access to the Oregon system through Dirk Koetter.

Having laid the Oregon system foundation, the monumental game was their win against Oklahoma when they ran the Statue of Liberty, surprising Oklahoma with the victory. Was that under Koetter or Dan Hawkins? I don't recall. Don't care to look it up.

Hawkins got promoted to Colorado but failed to launch. Chris Petersen took over the Boise State program as they moved to ensure program continuation as their head coaches would be hired away. Petersen stayed a long time for the ostensible benefit of his family. Eventually, though, Washington got him to commit and in his second year, they are in at least contention for the National Championship Game, playing a semi-final game against Alabama December 31st.

IMO, the importing of the Oregon system was the foundation of Boise State's success. Mike Bellotti went on to defeat Michigan twice. But then while Oregon was being bedazzled in the land of Nike uniforms and amazing athletic digs, they seemed to have abadoned their old system in favor of what Chip Kelly brought. Boise State beat Oregon 37-32 on 9/20/2008. Mark Helfrich was unable to sustain Chip Kelly's success, however, after going to the Championship Game against Ohio State. Chris Petersen, meanwhile, has brought that old system foundation to stellar new heights at UW. I don't expect them to win it all this year, but they could possibly in the years just ahead. Koetter is now the head coach at Tampa Bay in the NFL. Bellotti is commentator on ESPN. Nick Allioti is a commentator on the Pac-12 Network.

PSU needs to import that same system foundation. Really, it was all about attitude and the right kind of mental toughness. Making football fun. I still have the old video tapes of many of those games that turned Oregon from a consumate loser to a winner. They still need to overcome some things, but this is also the way Portland State would need to go, IMO.

I wonder how much the Blazers pay Jim Taylor as "Vice President of Basketball Communications."

He was the GM for the Timbers 2001-05. These days he keeps the news flowing, so to speak. Key decision: instead of beefing and talking about violating copyrights when the supporters group wanted to splash "Timbers Army" on scarves, he went with it. That handshake agreement still applies today (to the consternation of many). That's a fair portion of how the Timbers grew from nearly being part of the wreckage after 2003 to MLS and a sellout streak now.

I'm guessing Taylor likes his job and operating under Cleary may or may not be his speed. My thought is he's the kind of guy you want under Cleary (who generally seems to relish the fundraising role) that links between leadership and your potential fan base... especially students. You'd think there's someone else in town who can operate like he did in the previous decade.

The Timbers did not grow by billboard or media exposure or anything Cleary references in both articles. It was person-to-person, fans empowered to bring friends and others to games, a scarf that drew attention, some freedom to chant (something the NCAA probably hinders... tell them to stay at arm's length perhaps?), and that became integral to the "scene" at the stadium AND in the pubs around it before and after.

Thing is, you don't just duplicate Timbers chants. I would argue, at the same time, you don't duplicate everyone else's material, either... you watch any college basketball game anymore, it seems like everyone chants the same stuff (even though, the last time I was in MKA in Eugene, a few guys tried to start obvious Timbers stuff; it didn't take hold, probably for reason). BE DIFFERENT. "Keep Portland Weird" is aspirational, after all.

Bottom line: "it's college football IN the city" has failed. That's not a hook. "It's different here" sometimes works better.

BroadwayVik said:

So, she wants to make Portland State good like Boise State became good. How did that happen?

Essentially, first, PSU's Pokey Allen brought them to I-AA runner-up status, twice. Then they hired Oregon's Offensive Coordinator in the time of Oregon's rise. This allowed Mike Bellotti to come in as Offensive Coordinator at Oregon while allowing Boise State access to the Oregon system through Dirk Koetter.

Having laid the Oregon system foundation, the monumental game was their win against Oklahoma when they ran the Statue of Liberty, surprising Oklahoma with the victory. Was that under Koetter or Dan Hawkins? I don't recall. Don't care to look it up.

Hawkins got promoted to Colorado but failed to launch. Chris Petersen took over the Boise State program as they moved to ensure program continuation as their head coaches would be hired away. Petersen stayed a long time for the ostensible benefit of his family. Eventually, though, Washington got him to commit and in his second year, they are in at least contention for the National Championship Game, playing a semi-final game against Alabama December 31st.

IMO, the importing of the Oregon system was the foundation of Boise State's success. Mike Bellotti went on to defeat Michigan twice. But then while Oregon was being bedazzled in the land of Nike uniforms and amazing athletic digs, they seemed to have abadoned their old system in favor of what Chip Kelly brought. Boise State beat Oregon 37-32 on 9/20/2008. Mark Helfrich was unable to sustain Chip Kelly's success, however, after going to the Championship Game against Ohio State. Chris Petersen, meanwhile, has brought that old system foundation to stellar new heights at UW. I don't expect them to win it all this year, but they could possibly in the years just ahead. Koetter is now the head coach at Tampa Bay in the NFL. Bellotti is commentator on ESPN. Nick Allioti is a commentator on the Pac-12 Network.

PSU needs to import that same system foundation. Really, it was all about attitude and the right kind of mental toughness. Making football fun. I still have the old video tapes of many of those games that turned Oregon from a consumate loser to a winner. They still need to overcome some things, but this is also the way Portland State would need to go, IMO.

Allen only led Boise to one appearance in the I-AA championship game, in 1994, but I think I understand what your saying about the Oregon "system". Boise's success first came going head to head with Montana, Montana State and Idaho in the Big Sky (as a longtime Big Sky fan, I still remember those games). You build excitement, you build your fanbase and foundation, and you dominate in your games, then you move on to bigger things. PSU can do it, but we first need to build a consistent, winning program at the Big Sky level, and tapping in to the Oregon "system" is a great way to do that.

One thing I liked about Mark Rountree was his immersion and communication with the Viking community. Where is Valerie hiding? It would be nice if she would come out to play and communicate with us.

Valerie%20Cleary-3.jpg
my-reaction-when-I-get-into-an-argument-with-women-homer-simpson-hide-in-bush-disappears.gif
Ruprecht.jpg

Come out, come out, wherever you are.

BroadwayVik said:
One thing I liked about Mark Rountree was his immersion and communication with the Viking community. Where is Valerie hiding? It would be nice if she would come out to play and communicate with us.

Valerie%20Cleary-3.jpg
my-reaction-when-I-get-into-an-argument-with-women-homer-simpson-hide-in-bush-disappears.gif
Ruprecht.jpg

Come out, come out, wherever you are.

Maybe she's embarrassed at how the once promising seasons of both the men's and women's basketball teams have turned out for the worst, and is hoping no one will notice.

She ought to have a "town meeting" and consult with us. We could all offer up some good ideas and suggestions. She needs to trust us as part of the team and open up the floor to recommendations.

Excellent interview with Cleary on Canzano's Bald Faced Truth show on 102.9 FM. Touched on many subjects including the basketball hire, the Pavilion, the United Airlines misstep, and women in athletic administration. Very confident and very poised (sounded as polished as Neil Olshey at times). The "podcast" is in the link below.

http://www.1029thegame.com/shows/bald-faced-truth-w-john-canzano/

PSU Director of Athletics Val Cleary joins The DINO COSTA Show

http://www.1029thegame.com/psu-director-athletics-val-cleary-joins-dino-costa-show/

A Q&A with the Tribune's Kerry Eggers.

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/382207-264841-val-cleary-in-center-of-psu-athletics

Really good read. I'd recommend it.

Canzano giving Portland State and AD Cleary some credit!:

John Canzano’s Top 25 most influential people in Oregon sports for 2019

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2019/08/john-canzanos-top-25-most-influential-people-in-oregon-sports-for-2019.html

17. Valerie Cleary (20): Portland State athletic director opened the Viking Pavilion with resounding success and is now exploring a solution for PSU football’s long-standing stadium problem. Build something new in Portland? Find a permanent solution in Hillsboro? Or partner with a local high school on a multi-use stadium? Cleary is a problem-solver who is known as a strong internal leader. She’s smart, and willing to trust her staff and delegate. All this makes Cleary a rising star in the college athletics administration world, so include keeping her on staff among Portland State’s top priorities.

forestgreen said:

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2019/08/john-canzanos-top-25-most-influential-people-in-oregon-sports-for-2019.html

17. Valerie Cleary (20): Portland State athletic director opened the Viking Pavilion with resounding success and is now exploring a solution for PSU football’s long-standing stadium problem. Build something new in Portland? Find a permanent solution in Hillsboro? Or partner with a local high school on a multi-use stadium? Cleary is a problem-solver who is known as a strong internal leader. She’s smart, and willing to trust her staff and delegate. All this makes Cleary a rising star in the college athletics administration world, so include keeping her on staff among Portland State’s top priorities.

Canzano is clearly on the Viking bandwagon, although I don't know if it is genuine or ego-driven. Still, anyone in the Portland media who is not advocating a total shutdown of the athletic program is OK in my book. :thumb:

bigskyconf said:
forestgreen said:

Canzano is clearly on the Viking bandwagon, although I don't know if it is genuine or ego-driven.

I think it's a bit of both. Canzano has always seemed to have a soft spot for PSU athletics, perhaps proximity, perhaps pulling for the "little guy." However, over the years he's been one to call out PSU's shortcomings that he sees as preventing success with the Athletic Department. PSU actually addressing these issues validates his ideas and statements so that he can sit back and say, "see, I told you so." Does anyone think that any one associated with the PSU Athletic Department ever thought that playing basketball in a jr high school gym was the recipe for success and that without the local sports columnist calling it out we'd have never seen this as a problem?

That being said, it is good to be on his radar for positive accomplishments that move us forward, regardless of why...

Q&A session with Valerie Cleary, done by DeVon Pouncey of Street Roots News.

https://news.streetroots.org/2020/01/24/athletics-director-valerie-cleary-stands-out-portland-state

I do not know the author, nor have I heard of the publication so take it as you may. Cleary talks about the challenges of being "a woman of color" and an AD at a DI university, and the challenges that come with the job.

Again, take it as you wish.

For what it's worth:

John Canzano’s 25 Most Influential People in Oregon Sports for 2020

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2020/08/john-canzanos-25-most-influential-people-in-oregon-sports-for-2020.html

Each summer The Oregonian/OregonLive sports columnist John Canzano ranks the Top 25 most influential people in Oregon sports. This year there is a brand new No. 1 and six newcomers to the list.

A COUNTDOWN OF THE 25 MOST INFLUENTIAL PEOPLE IN OREGON SPORTS 2020:

24. Valerie Cleary (17): Portland State athletic director is busy steering her department through a challenging year. Portland State football lost $950,000 in anticipated revenue when September games against Oregon State and Arizona were canceled due to the pandemic. Cleary is creative and proactive. She’s emerged as an important voice on her campus and in the Big Sky Conference. Cleary oversaw the opening of the Viking Pavilion basketball arena and earned a contract extension (through the end of 2024) from PSU for all the leadership she’s demonstrated. PSU still badly needs a football stadium. Cleary, the former Willamette University AD, feels destined for bigger things.

BFT Interview: Valerie Cleary

John Canzano talks with Valerie Cleary about testing methodology in the athletic department, why they are watching the Pac-12 so closely, what’s happening with their basketball season, and how the wildfires affected the Viking community.

https://www.750thegame.com/bft-interview-valerie-cleary-2/

Portland State AD celebrates phantom football upset win over Oregon State

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2020/09/portland-state-ad-celebrates-phantom-football-upset-win-over-oregon-state.html

Latest posts

Back