• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

2021-22 MBB Season

SDHornet

Staff member
Hornets tip off the season with a playdown game tomorrow night. Should be an interesting year given the Katz retirement. We’ll see if Laird can make the most of it. I’m not sure what to expect given the infusion of transfer players. Seems a bit desperate to me, but maybe this is just the new norm in college hoops.

Schedule. Tough non-conference slate with the only home games being the playdown games and UCSD.

Truth be told I'm not all that excited about this season and am more interested in seeing what kind of a rabbit from the hat Nelsen/Orr can pull off in the hiring process.

Hornets follow up the gridiron beatdown with a beatdown of the dungpilers in Golden 1 with a dominating win 75-63 win.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3rd straight win in the Hardwood Causeway at Golden1. Wonder if those bitches will duck up at that venue as well. :cool: :coffee:

SDHornet said:
Hornets follow up the gridiron beatdown with a beatdown of the dungpilers in Golden 1 with a dominating win 75-63 win.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3rd straight win in the Hardwood Causeway at Golden1. Wonder if those bitches will duck up at that venue as well. :cool: :coffee:

I don't care if the sport is gymnastics, SD. If we beat the Manure Pile, that's a good day, indeed!

69 wins for Sac State
50 for Davis

All time series

Look forward to win #70 during the 75th Sac State anniversary year coming up

Good to see the seniors and Laird and his staff get a win in their final game in the Nest this past weekend.

The last day of the regular season is tomorrow, and given the standings, there are a LOT of swings possible.

1. The Kitties are guaranteed the top seed no matter what, and they MAY play like a high-seed NFL team approaching the playoffs. If that's the case, UNC will have a shot at staying in this three-way tie for second with a win. They will drop out with a loss.

2. Actually, that three-way tie for second will become a two-way tie for either second or third because BBQ plays SUU. The winner will either have to endure a tie-breaker for second, or the loser will endure a tie-breaker for third. If BBQ wins (that would make them 3-1 among these three) and UNC loses (2-2), BBQ will be 2, UNC 3, and SUU 4 (they would be 0-4). If BBQ and UNC BOTH win, it'll be BBQ 2, UNC 3, SUU 4. If BBQ loses and UNC wins, it'll be UNC 2, SUU 3, BBQ 4. If BBQ and UNC both lose, it'll be SUU 2, BBQ 3, UNC 4. Nobody else can jump into this group.

3. Montana, EWU, and PSU are also in a sort of pod. EWU and PSU play each other, and that will eliminate the tie. UM is 4-0 against EWU and PSU, though, so the Griz have the 5 sewn up. If EWU beats PSU, it will be Griz 5, EWU 6, PSU 7, regardless of whether or not the Griz beat Sac. If PSU wins, it will be Griz 5, PSU 6, EWU 7.

4. NAU is in a sort-of four-team tangle for the last four spots with Sac, Idalol, and ID State (who is already done). NAU plays Idalol. The key players in this tangle are Sac (3-3 against this bunch) and NAU (4-1), since the Bungles are done. If NAU wins, they will jump Sac no matter what. Sac has to lose to the Griz for Idalol (1-4) to jump Sac with a win over NAU. The only way ISU gets out of last is if Idaho loses; if either NAU or SAC lose, they beat ISU (Sac is 2-0 vs. ISU). So, if Sac and NAU win, it's NAU 8, Sac 9, ISU 10, and Idaho 11. If Sac and Idaho win, it's Sac 8, Idaho 9, NAU 10, ISU 11. If Sac loses and NAU wins, it's NAU 8, ISU 11, and Sac and Idaho up to the tiebreaker (1-1). If Sac and NAU both lose, it'll be Idaho 8, NAU 9, Sac 10, and ISU 11.

The MBB season mercifully comes to an end with a loss in the 2nd round of the BSCT. Hornets closed with a strong finish by winning 5 of their last 7 games but finish the season 11-18 (6-14 BSC).

I tuned out not long into the losing streak in mid January. Generally speaking, this team appeared unprepared and Laird didn't have this team prepared to execute in critical situations of games. I didn't get the impression that Laird was ready for a HC gig which was disappointing given his long tenure under Katz as the #2 guy. I'm thinking/hoping Nelsen and Orr go in a different direction but we'll see what happens. How this HC position is handled will tell us how much the administration plans on investing in this program.

Heck of a finish for the Hornets as the team came together at seasons end. Laird's season (11-18) not much different than Katz' last season (8-12). (.379 vs .400) as they still dealt with many Covid-related issues.

Coach Laird has a very young team with TEN (10) freshmen and sophomores, seven getting solid minutes. That's a foundation for the future. One or two key recruits can have a big impact.

The challenge will be replacing Fowler and Fitzpatrick, or might either have an extra Covid year?

The challenge remains to win a big Sky Conference title

The challenge remains to have just a winning season. Two in over 30 years at the Div I level .

The challenge remains to have a sell out at tiny Hornet Gym . Was normal 8 years ago.

The challenge remains to have a new arena built on campus. What happened to Power of 1,000
Hornets. It's still a thing with no update in 8 years.

The challenge challenge is for the Sac State President and the athletic director to step it up
and make basketball relevant enough to get 10 posts on this site and way beyond.

Stingers up

Latest posts

Back